H/L is so excited to announce that we’ve been recognized today by Outside Magazine as one of its Best Places to Work in 2023! We’re honored to be included on this list, alongside great organizations like GoPro, Evotek, and Stio.
“We couldn’t be more proud about this win. It signals that 2023 continues to be an incredible year for H/L and that we’ve been very thoughtful in defining our employee experience,” said Eleanor Abril, VP and Director of Human Resources at H/L. “But beyond that, we’re so proud to be named to Outside Magazine’s Best Places to Work because it demonstrates that H/L is an agency deeply committed to the outdoors. We understand the mental health benefits of outdoor recreation. We’re committed to ensuring more equitable access to the outdoors and helping to sustain the public pathways and lands near our five US offices.”
From Hawaii to Massachusetts, H/Lers are hikers and backpackers, skiers and snowboarders, mountain bikers, paddleboarders, kayakers, runners, motorcyclists, tennis players, horseback riders, scuba divers, golfers, overland campers, fishers, sailors, outdoor content creators, and more.
So what earned H/L’s place on Outside Magazine’s Best Places to Work list?
- Easy access from our offices to urban escapes like the Atlanta Dunwoody Nature Center, Miami’s Key Biscayne, St. Louis’ Greenway, Phoenix’s Camelback Mountain, and Oakland’s San Francisco Bay
- Every observed company holiday begins with an extra half-day off ahead of it—making it easier to for H/Lers to get out and adventure; that makes for 18.5 paid holidays in total
- A monthly speaker series that introduces our people to inspiring speakers who’ve made momentum in their own worlds—often through sport and adventure, including FIFA’s Head of International Refereeing, Kari Seitz; Olympic freestyle skiing gold medalist, Jonny Moseley; Olympic swimming gold medalist, Summer Sanders; Olympic Nordic combined skiing gold medalist, Billy Demong
- A Productivity Work Model that empowers people to work anywhere in the country where they feel they’ll produce their best, most impactful work
- To create community, we encourage H/Lers to come into our five (mostly) dog-friendly offices with monthly lunches and gatherings
- Annual days of giving that offer every individual H/Ler to choose the efforts they’d like to support; this year, we gave more than 350 hours, supporting 20 organizations through beach, trail, forest, and urban pathway cleanups, and more
- And a community of outdoor enthusiasts who regularly share their individual adventures, tips, GPX tracks, and even campsites via our own #camping_and_outdoors Slack channel
To celebrate our recognition, we’re inviting all interested H/Lers to enjoy a few paid hours spent recreating in outdoors and will organize group activities—like hikes, tennis, or paddles—in each of our five office locations, Atlanta, Miami, Oakland, Phoenix, and St. Louis.
If you’re interested in joining a company that’s now been recognized by Outside Magazine as a Best Place to Work, by The Business Journals as a Best Place to Work, and as a Digiday Worklife 50 award winner, please visit our Careers/Culture page to learn more about our opportunities.