H/L is searching for an experienced Copywriter to join our team. The Copywriter will work primarily on the creation of short-form videos. This is a hybrid position and will require in-person collaboration at our office and studio in Oakland’s Jack London Square.
Our Copywriters are curious, avid consumers and shapers of culture. They are the visionary keepers of a brand’s voice and they define its direction in every communication—regardless of scope. Beyond mere wordsmiths, our Copywriters are key members of our team of Makers, who conceive and craft every creative expression in our mission to Make MomentumTM.
Our nimble structure at H/L empowers Copywriters to take on pivotal roles in concept development across accounts, media applications, and tactical executions. At H/L, Copywriters draw on research, strategic, directorial, and presentation skills, in addition to writing and editing skills, to develop and influence advertising and marketing executions from concept to completion. So come ready to test boundaries and to contribute in ways you never have before.
Reporting to the Creative leadership and collaborating with their fellow Makers, Copywriters consult with account teams to define the parameters of each project. They work with in-house proofreaders and in-house media partners. They rely on strategy teams for direction. They vet ideas and concepts through senior Creative staff and present them to account stakeholders, who often include our clients, themselves.
Our Copywriters draw from experience measured primarily by their portfolios of short-form and long-form writing for print, digital, broadcast, social media, and radio. This can include headline development, copy editing, scriptwriting, broadcast production, guerrilla marketing, event activation, as well as their diverse cultural influences, life experiences, academic achievements, and more.
What You’ll Do:
- Generate a high volume of concepts/ideas and write highly targeted copy on one or more assigned account at a time
- Create copy for current and future clients’ ads, TV spots, Social Media videos, radio, and other forms of advertising
- Adapt to changes in format, media, and clients’ strategies
- Provide multiple solutions for every challenge
- Advocate for your ideas to agency partners and clients, supporting your rationale and employing insights that help get them produced on time, on budget, and within the scope of our collective vision
- Take the driver’s seat during production phases, directing both in-house and outside collaborators such as designers, illustrators, animators, engineers, and production companies in bringing ideas to life
- Be that co-creator with your Art Director and Design partners to champion every project, through every objection, to its full completion
- You have a bachelor’s degree and 2-3 years of experience in an agency or equivalent setting specializing in advertising, marketing, or digital production. Accredited portfolio school or university creative program is a plus.
- You have experience in producing work for digital, print, and broadcast channels, which include leading recording sessions, and working with voiceover talent and actors to deliver copy reads with the correct emotional tone
- You are proficient with Microsoft Word and have working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite
- You have experience in Asana or a similar work management tool
- Consummate knowledge of Automotive and Quick Service Restaurant categories is highly preferred
- You are experienced in the social space
- You possess quick thinking abilities and demonstrate a knack for innovation
- You show conviction in your own judgment and decisions while responding promptly and effectively in high-pressure situations
- You embrace diversity and respect by listening to others, valuing their contributions, and being receptive to new ideas
- You thrive in a collaborative, fast-paced work environment
- You enjoy assuming a leadership role in the agency space and are a steward of the brands you contribute to
Apply with your resume and portfolio here.
Due to the high volume of applications, we are unable to provide an individual response to every candidate.
For SF Bay Area / CA based candidates, H/L offers a projected salary range for a position as an estimate of what the company believes is a reasonable pay scale. The actual salary offered to a successful candidate will depend on various factors, including the job’s scope and responsibilities, the candidate’s qualifications, budget availability within the department, internal pay equity, geographic location, and external market pay rates for similar positions. The salary range for this position is expected to be between $77,000–$105,000 per year.
Since 1985, H/L has been fiercely independent and making Momentum. Our strengths include local and national media activations, creative development, insights and analytics, full-scale digital and video production, multicultural marketing, and PR.
We’re headquartered in Oakland, California, with people in 20+ states, and offices in Atlanta, Miami, Phoenix, and St. Louis. What unites H/Lers across the country is a common drive—to pioneer new ways to push clients’ businesses forward and serve the communities we call home.
Learn more at www.hl.agency.